5:42 PM

4 months in.

Posted by Just Butterflies |




I have dreadlocks. I love them. Friday will be my fourth month with them. Before now, my hair was natural. Before then, relaxed. :( As a child, I had my hair hot combed by my mom. I've always had long hair. It was longer when my mom took care of it, but I didn't do a shabby job. My main reason for going natural was I developed lupus. I was scared that my medications would cause my hair to fall out. So I cut the chemical. Plain and simple. A year later I went to New York City for the first time. I fell in love with the diverse locks I saw there. I knew it was for me! I called my mom and she told me that I wouldn't be able to work with that hair. I was bummed. My love didn't support the decision. But the locks represented my struggle with lupus. I wanted them. So on April 8, 2008, I threw in the towel. I had my hair locked. I also begin cutting the relaxed ends off. My dad, who loves long hair, loved MY hair. My love, loves it. Dreadlocks are for me. I feel more confident, I feel like lupus can't and won't stop me. I love my hair!


0 comments: